A petition has been launched to oppose the Governments ETS (or its two-errors-in-four-words alternative, the "Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme"), sponsored by Dr Dennis Jensen, Liberal Member for Tangney in Western Australia. Dr Jensen will present the petition to the House of Representatitves. The petition's web site states:
This petition of certain citizens of Australia draws to the attention of the House the fact that:
Petitioners therefore ask the House to ensure that the Government:
- We live on a dynamic planet; natural climate change occurs all the time.
- As a nation we need appropriate infrastructure and planning to protect against climate change including long-term warming or cooling and severe weather related events such as cyclones, droughts and bushfires.
- Global temperature increased slightly in the late 20th century and has been decreasing since 1998. Neither the warming nor the cooling is of an unusual rate or magnitude.Cutting carbon dioxide emissions in Australia will result in no measurable change in future climate. Australia contributes less than 1.5% of global emissions.
- The introduction of a Carbon Trading Scheme represents a major economic intervention that will drive Australian industries and jobs overseas.
- Invest appropriately in measures to ensure that Australia is well prepared for climate change and severe weather events including drought and floods.
- Not attempt to stop global climate change by introducing a Carbon Trading Scheme.
I encourage all ACM readers to sign the petition here